University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut Expected May 2018
Ph.D., Neag School of Education, Education Psychology, Measurement Evaluation and Assessment
University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut May 2007
Ph.D., Department of Mechanical Engineering
Thesis : “Study of Stiction Repair in Micro-Cantilevers Using Structural Vibrations”, which attempts to resolve stiction failure via the use of vibration and fracture mechanics.
Thesis Advisor: Kevin Murphy
- US Provisional Patent Appln. No. 61/856,981, “Pedagogy through technology”
GRANTS and AWARDS
- External Grants
- 2014, NSF IUSE Program “Predicting STEM retention through data and resource analysis, submitted 4th Feb 2014, ($681,379) Co-PI Alvaro Lozano-Robledo.(Not Funded) (PI 65%)
- July 2012, eREACH Partnership: Proposal for Management of the U.S. Army Sponsored eCYBERMISSION Program. (University of Connecticut partnership with Academy of Sciences) ($2.9 million) (15% as an Assessment Manager.), (Not Funded).
- Internal Grants
- 2015 Fund for Math placement and instruction program in partnership with Drew Jaramillo ($120,000).
- 2015 Fund for Innovative Education in Science – “Data integration and assessment system” –CLAS award ($18000).
- 2013 Fund for Innovative Education in Science – “STEM career path management program”- CLAS award ($30262).
- 2013 Faculty incentive award to create an online course in Calculus for business majors. ($5,000)
- 2012 Faculty incentive award to create an online course in Finite Mathematics for business majors. ($7,000).
- 2012 Faculty Large Grant Award –“Online Mathematics Homework Systems: Administrative and Pedagogical Systems.” ($15000.00) for Swapna Gokhale and Amit Savkar.
- 2012 Provost’s General Education Course Enhancement Grant Competition Award –“Technology for Pedagogy in Large Lectures” ($10000.00 for two years) for Amit Savkar and Fabiana Cardetti.
- 2010 Provost’s General Education Course Enhancement Grant Competition Award –“Pedagogy in Large Lectures” ($10000.00 for two years) for Amit Savkar and Fabiana Cardetti.
- 2010 Faculty Small Grant Award – “ A comparison of two paths in college level calculus” ($1500.00) for Erin Mullen and Amit Savkar.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2013 May Professor Spotlight http://webassignwired.webassign.net/2013/05/08/professor-spotlight-dr-amit-savkar/ Webassign.
- 2013 AAUP (American Association of University Professors) Excellence in Teaching Innovation award, with special recognition from US Congress, official citations from General Assembly and Comptroller’s office of State of Connecticut.